Friday, May 30, 2014

Daleville: Sometimes You Just Know

Paying attention to instincts has saved my butt several times. As a firefighter there were times I just knew. Just knew to bail or push forward. It's like a voice in the back of your brain that makes no sence when you hear it but you just know that more times than not it's right. That voice started talking on Wednesday night. May be it started on Tuesday and I didn't listen. But it was definitely was there on Wednesday night. 

On Monday I stepped over a log and banged my a Achilles Tendon. It hurt a little but I didn't pay much attention to it. That night I woke up and it was a little stiff. Tuesday it was sore and I popped a couple Advil to help with the inflation. Later in the day I twisted the same ankle. Strange, all soreness in the ankle disappeared. Pain disappeared when I rolled an ankle, that sure was different. 

On Wednesday it felt fine for the first part of the walk but as the miles into Daleville drug on I could tell something was going on. 

Wednesday night it stiffened up again and swelling was evident. So Thursday I came home. The only treatment I've ever found for this kind of injury is RICE. No not the grain, it's an acronym for rest, ice, compression and elevation.  

So for the next week or two I'll be taking it easy on that ankle. I have another adventure planned in the NC mountains starting June 23 and I want it to be ready to go.  I'm sure it will. 

Sometimes you just need to listen to that voice in the back of your head and know it's the right thing to do.