Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Laurel Creek Shelter to Pickle Branch Shelter

As I hiked down the trail this morning I realized I forgot to send a Spot message home last night. Spot is a satellite based communicator that sendS an "I'm okay" message to my wife so she doesn't worry too much about me. This morning she sent me a text that also reminded me I had not written my blog. So I sat on the side of the trail and wrote an entry. Then spent the the rest of the day looking for a signal. No luck today. I'm sure there is one in the section I'm hiking tonorrow. 

Saw some wildlife today but didn't get pictures. First time in awhile since I've seen a red headed woodpecker. I also saw a 5-6 foot black snake. He saw me too and skadadled off the trail. There are notes left everywhere about rattlesnakes but I've yet to see one. I'm okay with that. 

Part of the trail was along the Great Eastern Divide. The rocks are slanted and I was glad it was a dry day. 

The picture really does not show the slant well. 

Toward the end of the day I made a climb up to the Audie Murphy Menorial. I guess that is fitting since this is Memorial Day. 


Today's hike was 22.4 miles. Here is Guthook's profile of this section. 


Tomorrow is another big day. I'm going to Lambert's Meadow so I will only be 10 miles from Daleville on Wednesday morning. I hear a hot shower calling my name.