Friday, June 27, 2014

Leave No Trace School -Last Day in the Back Country

Ever have a day that just slipped away?  That's how today was. May it was because it's the last day I'll be hiking for awhile or may be it's just because this class is almost over. At any rate breakfast was a quick bowl of potatoes and before I knew it two presentations were over and we were hiking to the parking lot. 

Derrick gave the last mini class on preparing for an outing. I must say he got me thinking about my preparation some. I really what to lead a couple of backpacking trips this fall for a local club and a lot of planning will be needed. 

On the way to the car I spotted a four foot black snake stretched across the road. He was a calmer than most black snakes and I took a couple of pictures of him. 



On the way back to Landmark we stopped at Judaculla Rock. The Cherrokees inscribed pictures on the slab of rock telling about a giant that guarded their sacred hunting grounds.  Weather has eroded some of the carvings but it was still interesting to see the markings and read about the history of the Indians that lived here long ago. 



Back at Landmark we cleaned and dried gear. We also came up with a game plan for theVisitor's  Center on the Smokeys tomorrow.   



After everything was finished a group of us headed into town for supper. We ate at a little Cuban place in Sylva, NC. The food was really good. Of course it was our first meal out of the woods but I think it would have been good anyway. 

Tomorrow night I head for Camp Barstow in South Carolina. Hope my Scouts have had a good week at camp.